Freelancer statistics: the European freelance economy in numbers
The growth in freelancers in the EU since 2004 has been remarkable. Numbers have increased by 45% from just under 6.2 million to 8.9 million in 2013, making them the fastest growing group in the EU labor market.
Freelancers represent a significant segment of the workforce generally, making up 25% of all those working in professional, scientific and technical work and 22% of all those in arts and entertainment.
Important Freelancer Statistics in Europe
- In the UK, self-employment is now growing 4% faster than traditional employment, 4.37 million self-employed in 2013.
- The Netherlands has seen 92% growth in freelancing over the last 10 years.
- 31.9% of Greeks and 23.4% of Italians are now self-employed.
- In Spain and Slovakia, 13% of the work force are self-employment.
- In Russia, the share of freelancers in the IT sphere is 35% of the total labor market.
- 14.5% of employed Europeans are self-employed.