Growing Your Cross-Border Business in Germany with Rakuten.de
Since its founding in 1997 in Japan, Rakuten has transformed into one of leading global companies combining eCommerce, fintech, digital content and communications. For cross-border sellers interested in taking their businesses to new territories, Rakuten.de provides an excellent opportunity to expand in one of Europe’s biggest markets; Germany.
Featuring a host of benefits for sellers, including dedicated consultants and an in-house marketing service, Rakuten.de is well placed to help you access a completely new customer base. Here, we’ll be covering why Germany should be your next target market, as well as what makes Rakuten.de the ideal marketplace to facilitate your business expansion.
Breaking into the 5th Largest eCommerce Market in the World
With close to $75 billion in revenue in 2019, an increase of more than 8% from 2018, eCommerce in Germany has consistently grown in recent years and now stands as the 5th largest market in the world. Close to 90% of the population uses the internet, making it easier to market your store to the widest audience possible.
Breaking into this market, however, can be complicated, especially if you don’t speak German or are unfamiliar with German shopping habits.
Rakuten.de simplifies the process by providing sellers with a suite of services designed to help your business grow in Germany, including:
- A dedicated eCommerce consultant to support your business.
- Brand awareness in Germany. Rakuten has partnerships with some of the most recognized brands and people in sports, including as the official Global Innovation and Entertainment Partner of FC Barcelona and the Davis Cup, among many others. Furthermore, famous football player and world champion Lukas Podolski is the official Brand Ambassador of Rakuten.de.
- A customer loyalty program called Rakuten Point that gives customers points for every purchase, which can later be redeemed within the entire Rakuten ecosystem.
- An in-house marketing service that can be used to increase your business’s visibility through programmatic advertising slots on Rakuten owned and operated media.
Additionally, Rakuten’s global ecosystem is designed to keep users engaged and help convert one-time buyers into repeat customers. Additional services offered by Rakuten include:
- Rakuten TV – Rakuten TV is a video-on-demand subscription service customers can use to stream, rent or purchase movies and TV series.
- Rakuten Viber – Rakuten Viber is a voice over IP and messaging service.
- Club Everywhere – Club Everywhere provides exclusive offers to Rakuten customers who shop at partner sites, through which they can collect the loyalty points called Rakuten Points.
Customizing Your Cross-Border Business for the German Market
Before opening your Rakuten.de store, it’s important to research the product categories German shoppers are most interested in to maximize your business’s reach. Fashion products, electronics and media are some of the most widely shopped for products in Germany.
According to Rakuten.de, the most popular product categories on the platform include:
- Car & Motorcycle
- Electronics & Photography
- Kitchen & Home Appliance
- Computers & Software
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been an increase in demand for Home & Garden, DIY and Beauty & Wellness products.
In addition to tailoring the products you’re selling in Germany, it’s important to diversify your sales channels as much as possible, including with your own personal store or on other marketplaces. Rakuten.de actively supports a multichannel strategy for sellers using their platform. Doing so helps ensure steady revenues and a successful business expansion.
So, How do I Get Started on Rakuten.de?
Once you register for a Rakuten.de seller account, you’ll be assisted throughout the entire onboarding process. Please note that to be eligible to onboard with Rakuten Germany, you’ll need to have an entity in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Austria, Germany or France.
- After confirming Rakuten’s terms and conditions and marketplace guidelines, you’ll be asked to submit several documents to be verified by their internal legal department.
- The Rakuten.de onboarding team will assist you in setting up your merchant profile and your online store. Note that to set up your store, you’ll need to provide a logo, company information and shipping details. Additionally, you’ll need to integrate your products into the Rakuten system.
- The onboarding team will assist you in activating and optimizing your store.
- Once the onboarding process is completed, you’ll be assigned an individual eCommerce consultant that will be available to answer any questions you might have and support you in further marketing activities.
What’s Next for Rakuten.de?
Rakuten.de is constantly optimizing their platform to best meet the needs of both their sellers and customers. In addition, a continuously developing support network for Rakuten sellers helps to attract new merchants and grow the number of products sold on their platform.
Interested in selling on Rakuten.de? If you have an entity in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan, all you need to do is contact Payoneer’s Green Channel Team by scanning the QR code below.